Monday, June 30, 2014

A New Journey...

Well, I felt the need to make a new blog. I don't know who will be reading this and if it will be any use to some people, but this will be a way for me to share my experiences as a Scout Leader in my new unit.

But first, I must say a little about me. My family is really into Scouting. My father has been a leader since he and my mother got married. Naturally when I turned 8, I became a Cub Scout and started getting scout fever. I joined my first troop when I was 11 and was active till I was 18. I received my Eagle rank when I was 15 and consider it one of my greatest achievements.

My wife and I were married in 2006 and in our new ward, I was called to be a Cub Master. Little did I know that this would become my addiction back into Scouting. I immediately when took all the online training, took leader specific training and then at the Scout-O-Rama, I signed up for Wood Badge due to the persistence of my father. My father was anti- Wood Badge for the longest time but until I saw him change, I decided to make the change also and had a life changing experience.

My wife and I moved to Ogden and I was called as the first counselor in the Young Men's presidency. That means Varsity Scouting. I knew nothing about this program, but slowly got hooked. Then, a couple years later I was called as the Coach (even though I was already doing the job). Two years later, I was released and then called to serve in the Stake Young Men's presidency which included being a Unit Commissioner. During this span, I served on two Wood Badge Staffs

Last October, my wife and moved to West Valley City in the ward I grew up in. Last week I sustained and set apart as the Varsity Team Coach and will be starting a program from scratch. From what I've seen, it has been overwhelming because of records which haven't been kept or are non-existent. I have three boys right now that I need to help motivate and get excited about Varsity Scouting.

As I post about my experiences and challenges, please feel free to comment and give suggestions. Like in  Wood Badge, "Feedback is a Gift".

No comments:

Post a Comment